The web pages to help you to carry out your ‘duty to manage asbestos’ can
be found at HSE
Overview of the scheme, Checklist
- Are you responsible for maintenance or repair?
Does the duty to manage apply to you and your premises?
- When was it built?
Was it built before 2000, are you on a brownfield site or do you use old
- What information do you have already?
Look at building plans, previous asbestos surveys and any other
- Inspect your building
Create an asbestos register to list where asbestos may be present.
- Determining priorities for action
Use a scoring tool to work out what needs doing first.
- Decide how to deal with the different types of asbestos
Use the online tool on how to treat the different types of asbestos, eg
sprayed asbestos, asbestos cement
- Write your asbestos management plan
The plan brings together your asbestos register, plans of work and
- Testing for asbestos
If work is required, you need to test for asbestos first.
- Tell people what you’re doing
You need to tell employees, contractors and maintenance workers
about your findings.
- Getting work done
- Does the work need a licensed contractor?
- Keep your records up to date
- If any work is done on asbestos, your records need updating, and you
need regular checks on the state of the asbestos.
- If you need any asbestos removal in Scotland please get in touch
- also check this article about Are you managing the asbestos risks ?